Limavady Wolfhounds G.A.C. was officially established in 1980. There had, however, been a history of Gaelic games in the area before the founding of our current club. In 1903 St Patrick's Limavady hurling club was set up; its star player Henry Patton won an Ulster medal as part of the Derry team that defeated Antrim in the 1903 Ulster Senior Hurling Championship final.
Football was also played in Limavady, in the form of O'Connor's Limavady. They won the 1936 and 1941 Dr. Kerlin Cups beating Park (forerunner to the modern-day Banagher team) and Magilligan in the respective finals. The club also contested the Derry Senior Football Championship final in 1937. Having won the 1938 North Derry Senior Football Championship, they were defeated by Lavey in the 1938 All-Derry Senior Championship semi-final. They reached the All-Derry final in 1941, but were defeated by Ballinascreen. In the late 1960's the St. Michaels G.A.C. club was formed on the banks of the River Roe, from an amalgamation of players from the Limavady, Magilligan, and Glack areas, but later folded.
Success came relatively soon for the Wolfhounds club, when in 1985 five years after their formation they won the Derry Junior Football Championship, Derry Junior League and Neil Carlin Cup. After moving up to Intermediate grade, the club won the 1989 Derry Intermediate Football Championship. The club were relegated to Junior level again in the 1990's and won the Derry Junior Championship twice more, in 1999 and 2003. Following on from this success the club are currently trying to maintain their position amongst the Intermediate ranks.